Sunday, November 23, 2008

Personal Statement for law schools

I'm applying to law schools, and so I have to write a personal statement. To keep this post succinct, I won't reproduce my statement verbatim. Here are some of the ideas I'm considering:


  • I have no profound commentary on Kafka's parable "Before the Law", or The Trial in general, but I am haunted by them. Maybe I should tell the admissions office that I'm a paranoid Jew.
  • All of the schools I'm considering cover law and economics. Based on my shallow understanding of the academic discipline, it matches my intuition well and I look forward to learning more about it. I don't know what I could do with this.
  • One of my favorite books is Restoring the Lost Constitution by Randy Barnett. His understanding of the Constitution's presumption of liberty is clear and morally compelling. What will the admissions office think if I discuss Barnett's influence on myself? I could think of one or two schools where I hope the impact would be positive, but I worry this might be a strike against me at some elite law schools.
  • A lot of the female law students and lawyers I've seen are hotties, and I want to meet more of them. Again, probably a strike against me. I also have a thing for nurses, but I can understand why healthcare workers would be motivated to take good care of their bodies. What can explain the hot lawyer phenomenon?
  • I want to go to law school because, as the Don once said, "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." (Sun-tzu has him beat by a few years) Another strike against me.
  • I would enjoy the reading, contemplation, and discussion of the law that I would get to experience at law school. I don't know how to tie this in to actually being a lawyer.
  • I like money.
  • Atticus Finch is my hero

No comments: