Monday, December 1, 2008

I miss Tanta

Tanta, a co-blogger at Calculated Risk, died Sunday. The internet will be a poorer place without her. There will be many times in the future, I'm sure, when I'll want to have her perspective. I can only hope I've been able to adopt her mode of thinking well enough to help me make sense of the world.

After leaving her job due to illness, Tanta took up blogging. I'm grateful for everything she taught me about the mortgage industry, and I'm grateful for how entertaining she made it. Even though she used a pseudonym and wrote about arcane financial details, her literary ability allowed her personality and morality to come through to her readers. She had a special insight about, and knack for, this new medium of blogging, and she'll be remembered for it. 


Tanta's comment, following her own post about reverse mortgages, hurt me in a good way.
My employer could get me to sign off on some megamillion dollar trade that risked taking the bank down with my head up and my shoulders squared. The next day I'd be backed into the corner of my cubicle, brandishing a red pen, crying out that those bastards could have my labor, they could have my dignity, they could have my soul, but they weren't taking my active voice. I dangle modifiers for no one.



No comments: